Jacksonville.com

Dan and Judy's Kitchen

Sunday, March 4, 2007

I can't hear a thing

I'm making little headway in cleaning up the house and putting somethings in the kitchen. I don't want to pile a lot of stuff in drawers if the workers need to do some stuff I don't know about. However, I did do the first load of dishes.

I loaded the dishwasher, hit the buttons (Normal/Hot Dry/On) and closed the door. I waited. Nothing seemed to happen. I shook my head in disgust. Why wasn't it working? Just as I was about to open the door I heard the faintest "click." Still I heard nothing. It was only when I put my ear close to the door did I hear water swishing around. They told me this dishwasher was going to be quiet. But I couldn't believe this thing.

Our old dishwasher - original equipment in our 15 year old house - was a monster. It roared. It clanked. I usually washed dishes by hand just to avoid having to hear it. The new machine is too cool. Also, I have never seen the glasses this clean.

We decided to go with Kitchen Aid appliances. When a Viking or Wolf oven proved too expensive for the budget, we searched for a manufacturer that made entire kitchen sets. (This is my quirk. For example, I insist on having a matched set of golf clubs. I believe the reason I can't hit my my 3-wood is because it is a Calloway rather than a Titleist like the rest of my clubs.) KitchenAid got high scores from the material we read. They also made a four-burner gas/convection oven with the warming drawer I wanted.

People asked me why I went with a four-burner rather than a six-burner oven. Two reasons. First — it would have been too large. We would have lost cabinet space to make room for it. Secondly, this is a home kitchen. I'm not opening a restaurant here. It's just Judy and I. Rarely have I ever had all four burners going at once. If I got into a pinch, there is always the gas grill just outside on the patio. That's also why we didn't get a second oven — we already have one. The gas grill can be used as an oven in a pinch and it's side burner offers me a fifth burner if I needed one.

Speaking of the oven, that should be ready to use tomorrow. Fingers are crossed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What process did you go through to pick your designer/remodeler? Did you check with multiple companies, go with a recommendation of friends, etc.? Was the design process pretty straightforward? Any surprises?

March 5, 2007 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Dan Macdonald said...

These questions and more will be answered when the project is finally finished.Hopefully that will be sometime next week.

March 7, 2007 at 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

sponsored links