Jacksonville.com

Dan and Judy's Kitchen

Friday, February 9, 2007

Lack of kitchen leaves a hole in my day

I've been in a fog all this week. I really think it is because I haven't got a kitchen. Why rush home after work? To do what — watch TV? Before, I'd need to get home to cook. Sure some nights I'd blow it off and get take out. Or, I'd just go through the motions. But many times, I found cooking was the best way to unwind from the work day. Now, I'm out of my rhythm.

I've got a theory that one of the reasons that New York has so many restaurants is because cooking at home is a hassle for most New Yorkers. The kitchens are small. Grocery shopping is a chore. Instead of rushing back to the over-priced and under-sized apartment, New Yorkers are more willing to extend the work day with a happy hour that spills over into a dinner out.

Without a kitchen, that's how I am feeling. Unfortunately, I'm in Jacksonville, not Manhattan, so my downtown dining options are much more limited.

I think that the real reason I'm in no hurry to go home is that I hate looking at that hole where my kitchen once was. Hopefully, when the cabinets are installed early next week and I can see what the new ones will actually look like, I'll feel better about this whole project. As it is now, I still have serious doubts about the design. While it will give us more storage room, I fear that the design will make a smallish kitchen even smaller. It will look pretty, but will it be practical? The space between the bar/bookshelves and the new pantry has me very concerned. I'm afraid the space it going to be too narrow. I just envision me bumping my hip into either structure every time I pass by. A hip replacement 10 years down the line wasn't mentioned as part of the bargain when I signed on to this deal.

This is the angst part I warned you about. Happier posts are to follow. I promise.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could volunteer to be a take-home chef to fill that void in your day. You could rush to their house to cook, have Judy meet you there to eat dinner with them and then head home. ;)

February 10, 2007 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger Dan Macdonald said...

Nice idea but cooking in other people's kitchens is a hassle. I never know where they keep anything. I guess if I could take my knives, cutting board, towels and tongs with me it would work out. Also, I'd feel a little weird knocking on someone's door and saying, "Hi I haven't got a kitchen. Mind if I cook you dinner?"

February 11, 2007 at 6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Kerri has a great idea but I have to agree with Dan. It's just not the same cooking in another person's kitchen. As Dorothy said, "There's no place like home," and especially one's own kitchen.
By the way Dan, that's how Paula Deen was discovered by Gordon Elliott of the TLC's Door Knock Dinners. He ate at her Lady and Sons restaurant and aked her to be the chef of the day. When the lady of the house answered the door they knocked on, she refused. Gordon, Paula and the camera crew were leaving when Paula went back knocked again and talked the woman in do the show, and the rest is history.
Lynda

February 12, 2007 at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

sponsored links