Jacksonville.com

Dan and Judy's Kitchen

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Major changes



The kitchen isn't completed, but it is usable.
This is so big.
The lapse between posts was basically because nothing was going on for about 10 days while the counter tops were being prepared. But on Monday, stuff started happening. The appliances were delivered. An the new refrigerator was installed. Ice is being made (and will be dumped out, per manufacturer's suggestion). Soon, though we'll be able to use that ice.

Dan, if you have ice, doesn't that mean you have water? Yes. This is why the kitchen is now usable. The plumber came yesterday to install the sink, faucet, garbage disposal and the dishwasher. If it's not too late (meaning dark) I may actually cook something out on the grill. The gas stove gets installed on March 5. I could have grilled all along, but clean up would have been a hassle. I guess I am just too lazy to clean dishes in the bath tub. As it is, the guest bath is overrun with coffee cups and wine glasses. Those will all get cleaned tonight.

This morning I watched the instructional DVD that came with the dishwasher. It is smarter than I am. we went with KitchenAid appliances. This model can tell if it needs to wash the dishes longer or on a more powerful cycle by testing the water. Pretty cool. I can't wait to start it and then not hear it. Our old one roared and clanked. it made sure to let us know when it was on. With the kitchen being just off the family room, washing dishes right after dinner made watching TV and loud experience.

As you can see from the pictures, the counter tops are in and it really makes the kitchen look like a kitchen. Of course all my worries about the kitchen being too dark were a waste of time and energy. When will I learn to trust Judy's eye on these things? Dan cooks. Judy decorates. Learn your role, Macdonald!

I'll post again tomorrow as workers will be here today to do some more stuff.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,

I am glad to hear that you have finally realized that I do have an eye for decorating ;)

This process has been interesting from the perspective of seeing how two married people can approach the same project in such a different manner. I embrace change and like to decorate...you, as you've stated in the blog ..HATE change. It makes you crazy and nervous. I have tried to assure you that we will really enjoy the end result, while trying to help you get through your inner turmoil.

It's funny...but this project has probably been the biggest "test" of our marriage over the past 10 years..and I think we passed.

I'm proud of your efforts coordinating the Gas installation and the progress I've seen you make on a personal level to try and adapt to changes.

I'm looking forward to the first "Make it For Me" meal in our new kitchen...and saying good-bye to take out !!

Love,

Your wife Judy

February 28, 2007 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Lookin' good there! The countertops really do dress it up nicely. Is there more backsplash coming for that bare wall, or do you have something more interesting in mind for that space?

March 1, 2007 at 1:11 AM  
Blogger Dan Macdonald said...

There is more tile to come on Friday.
BTW - the promised new posting will come later today. Sometime tonight.
Got home late from work yesterday and then went to see a Springsteen tribute band at Freebird. I'm now going to load the dishwasher (you don't know how much I love that phrase) to clear the bathroom of all the coffee cups.

March 1, 2007 at 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dan!!
Everything looks wonderful! We can't wait to see it in person!! We told you "no pain no gain" The process is never fun but the end result is just so worth it. We look forward to many memories in your new and spectacular kitchen!
hugs--Espi and Jonathan

March 2, 2007 at 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

sponsored links