Jacksonville.com

Dan and Judy's Kitchen

Sunday, February 18, 2007

I could use my old pal R.P. about now

Beach folk may remember R.P. McMurphy's on Third Street. It was located where the recently defunct Bob Marlin's now resides. Now that I am without a kitchen, I miss R.P.'s more than you can imagine.

When I was single, I pretty much lived at R.P.'s. It had everything a guy needed. Good food, cold beer, all the games but most of all a collection of fun people. During those days, when I was the paper's music critic, I didn't cook much at all. No need, I had R.P.'s. Granted most of my meals there were either wings or a burger — but unlike most sports bars it had a menu of fresh food that could rival most any other locally owned restaurant. There was a time, that locals would form a line outside the place on a Friday night.

Before I go too far, allow me to throw in the disclaimer that I worked there part-time for a few football and basketball seasons. (Without that job, I doubt I could have scraped together the money for Judy's engagement ring. Besides, why spend money watching football when I could tend bar and make money while watching the games?)

Now that I am without a kitchen, I have come to appreciate R.P.'s even more than before. I had a place where I could sit at the bar, drink a few beers and eat a pretty good meal. This week, Judy is out of town on business. I wish I had such a place today.

I'm a tavern guy. I love the fact that in most restaurants today, dining at the bar is an option. I like to believe that guys like me helped established this practice. A steak or broiled fish dinner tastes better to me when at the bar, enjoying a draft beer, watching a game or chatting with some person I've just met who happens to be sitting next to me.

Sure, we have sports bars all over this town. Unfortunately few show any imagination or skill in the kitchen. It's the same wings and pub grub. Can I get a fresh salad or a choice of vegetables (or any vegetable for that matter)? These days, I'm a regular at the downtown Mudville Grille. Good place. Good people. But the menu doesn't offer many surprises. But it's as close to R.P's as I've found.

The best bar food I've found is Ker's WingHouse in Tinseltown. Yeah, yeah the waitresses are pretty and that's part of the attraction. But for a sports bar, the food is good. While the menu is limited, I've found the mahi mahi sandwich and the blackened chicken sandwich both perfectly portioned and wonderfully prepared. The sandwiches are so good, I have only had the wings there once (just to see if they were any good — they are).

But I'm looking for a neighborhood place. Maybe it says something for the size of the Beach or my demented personality but I haven't lived more than five miles from the old R.P.'s since moving to the Beach.

R.P.'s was a special place and a special time. I guess now I'm looking for a local sports bar that just offers some interesting dinner specials.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What we need is a neighborhood sports lounge that serves organic free-range wings with Maytag blue dressing, organic celery & carrot sticks. Grass-fed organic beef burgers on 7-grain bread, heirloom tomato, caramelized Vidalia onion and avacado. How about fried haricot verts with garlic aioli in lieu of fries with that? Mmm! I'd be a regular. I now have a new kitchen too. Love it! Especially the quartz composite counters (no sealing ever!) and double drawer dishwasher (great for just 1 or 2 people). Also my glass-front french door fridge is awesome. Super easy to clean & I love the freezer on bottom because now you don't have to stoop down to get in the crispers. My mom also re-modeled recently. She had to wash her dishes in the half-bath sink. The slow-cooker was her friend too- easy to keep it going in the garage with a toaster oven for crusty bread. Can't wait for more pictures from you. Hang in there!

February 22, 2007 at 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to the idea of posting regarding your frustration with the incomplete project? And the mini-reviews of the "lesser" restaurants?

February 25, 2007 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Dan Macdonald said...

Lynne, you are so right. The one part of this blog that hasn't worked out is the new restaurant part. To be very honest, I can't bring myself to go exploring. The idea of driving down Atlantic or Beach Boulevard just isn't that appealing.

I did have a nice enough meal at Ragland's in Five Points (wrote about it in Dining Notes). But most times I try to find something at the Beach. Caddyshack in Ponte Vedra works pretty good. I did have a huge bowl of mussels at Messa Luna on Saturday night. Billed as an appetizer, it made for a meal.I started with jalapeno shrimp and grits at Latitudes.

While I haven't written a lot about restaurants, we still have a couple of weeks to go.

February 26, 2007 at 11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan,
On behalf of Ker's Winghouse in Tinseltown I would like to thank you for the complement. We strive on great food, generous portions served by the girl next door. Next time your in make sure that you ask for Shane. I am the Kitchen Manager at the Tinseltown location.

March 1, 2007 at 11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come back, Billy Cissel! Take it back over! :) ps. there's no place like RP's in Mandarin either. If you like Mudville's, Players grill (on Hendricks) is just about the same. Same menu, same, just about everything.

Heya Dan. the project looks great. I like the shelves on the outside of the kitchen. We're about embark on the "fun" of remodelling this spring. It's nice to see yours coming along so well.

March 2, 2007 at 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

sponsored links